letter R letter E Vintage Brick Letter V little tikes letter I letter E letter W S
Welcome to our Book Review page. Stay a while and read some of the blurbs, check out the video clips and book trailers we've included. You may get inspired to try one of the books that have been reviewed or you may like to write your own review. Ask one of the Library staff how. HAPPY READING!

Sunday, February 3, 2013

SWEET TOOTH


by Ian McEwan   (STAFF)  (LWH)
I thought by the cover and the blurb I would love this book; particularly with my fetish for spy movies, the ABC drama 'Spooks', the inviting cover and all the good reviews, but I was very disappointed. It's not very often that I discard a book and don't read right to the end, even if I don't like it much, but I did with this one, after being 1/3 of the way through.

The story is about Serena, a young attractive girl, who finds herself being groomed for the intelligence services and eventually is entrusted with her first 'secret mission' for MI5, named 'Sweet Tooth'. She is well read and loves the literary world, which is why she is requested to participate in this mission, which is to befriend a promising writer, Tom Harley.

This book is about cold war, espionage, politics and love... but I got too bogged down in the politics of it all. I made the decision that if I hadn't liked it by my first 100 pages then I had plenty of other books to pursue, on my bed side table, that were beaconing me to dive into their pages.... so I gave up. Sorry Ian McEwan!

No comments:

Post a Comment