letter R letter E Vintage Brick Letter V little tikes letter I letter E letter W S
Welcome to our Book Review page. Stay a while and read some of the blurbs, check out the video clips and book trailers we've included. You may get inspired to try one of the books that have been reviewed or you may like to write your own review. Ask one of the Library staff how. HAPPY READING!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

THE QUEEN'S LADY

by Eve Edwards   (LW)
I fell in love with this book. What a lovely story, set in 1583, a period of time I don't usually care to read about, however I really enjoyed this book, having picked it up because of the beautiful cover. I didn't realise it was #2 about the Lacey's (the other being 'The Countess') but it didn't matter I slipped into it easily. 

Lady Jane is the Marchioness of Rievaulx and begins service to the Queen (Elizabeth) after the death of her husband, who was much older than herself, but who she loved nonetheless. She is caught in a fight over her inheritance between her family and her former husbands sons. She is treated wickedly and is tricked into marrying a Frenchman so her father and brother can receive respect and wealth. She however loves James Lacey but he is not there to help her as he is exploring overseas. Will he come back in time to save her life? 

This story has plenty of villains, and romance, and the author has written in such a way that I felt like I was strolling down the streets of ol' England, and I that I could really see the costumes so beautifully described. It must've been a terrible time for women and the poor in this century and I'm glad we don't live like that any more... although I think the dresses sounded glorious. There was a wonderful friendship between Jane and Milly, who was her best friend and accomplished seamstress. The character of Diego, being dark skinned, and trying to fit into society and falling in love with an English women was also interesting. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment